Thursday, 26 January 2012

Banana and Almond Muffins - Paleo Friendly

Just because we are trying to eat a mostly Paleo diet doesn't mean we have to miss out on baked goodies.  These yummy muffins are my variation of a recipe I found online, however I have altered it slightly to make it more economical and the texture more cake like.

The Paleo diet doesn't include those cheap filling ingredients like flour, rice and pasta or other grains and therefore it can be quite costly to buy ingredients but in saying that it is also a very filling diet so you don't need to eat as much at each meal or snack.

I've been cooking and baking for years and I feel that I have a fairly good idea of what can go together and work and what certain ingredients do and don't do, so I am okay with messing around with recipes.


Banana Almond Muffins


Banana and Almond Muffins - Paleo Friendly
Recipe (makes about 12)


Preheat oven to 180C (350F)
Grease the muffin tins

Ingredients
3/4 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup almond meal
2 lightly beaten eggs
1/2 cup almond butter
2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
2 tbsp honey
2 large ripe bananas
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bi-carb soda (baking soda)

Method
In a large mixing bowl, mix together almond butter, olive oil, honey and 2 eggs.  Add mashed bananas and mix well.
Add all the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together lightly.

Spoon into muffin trays and bake for approximately 15 to 20 mins.

You could also add chocolate chips for a yummy variation and you may notice that in the photo there are largish white pieces, these are white chocolate chips which are definitely not Paleo but I threw them in anyway.  Normally for a completely Paleo friendly muffin I would have left these out or put in dark chocolate chips instead.

This chart helped me identify Paleo foods and I thought I would post it here for others.

The muffins didn't last long in our house which is always a good sign that I got it right this time :)

Happy Baking
Chez

3 comments:

  1. well im back ....that receipr looks very inviting,,it is a must try

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were delicious! My favorite of the Paleo friendly baked goods that I have tried. Thanks for the recipe : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are one of my favourites too. I have also converted the recipe for pineapple muffins. I'll post that recipe in a blog soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...