Friday, 27 January 2012

BBQ Sauce for Bottling

Today I decided to drag out my Fowlers Vacola kit and do some preserving.  My inspiration was one of my sons asking how he could get a healthier version of the chemically laden sauces you buy at the supermarket and so I set to work to produce a great tasting, healthy version that the family would eat.

I hunted through quite a few recipes on the internet and looked on the ingredient list on labels of the supermarket brand BBQ's sauces to get an idea of what actually goes into producing the flavour of the sauce.  The recipe below is my version of a few recipes and a supermarket one - minus the artificial flavours and preservatives of course.

Homemade BBQ Sauce
BBQ Sauce 
Makes about 10 cups or 2 ½ litres

Ingredients
4 cans organic crushed tomatoes
½ cup olive oil
8 cloves garlic
2 large onions
1 cup tomato paste
¼ cup worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup sweet chilli sauce or fresh chopped chillies
½ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbs paprika (you could also use smoky paprika for a smokier flavour)
3 tsp ground cloves
juice 2 lemons
½ cup burnt brown sugar
Salt to taste

Method
Simmer all ingredients on the stove top for about 1 hr.  Liquify in a blender until smooth.  Put through a metal sieve to make it smooth sauce like consistency.

Ingredients ready for the sauce
Pour into sterilized bottles or jars and process in a water bath for 30 minutes.
Label and store in pantry.  Refrigerate once opened.

Using a double boiler for the water bath

As I only had 3 jars to process in a water bath I decided to use my double boiler rather than the Fowlers Vacola pot because that thing is huge.  You need to have a pot big enough that you can put a metal rack on the bottom so the jars don't sit directly on the heat, and so that the water covers the jars completely.

Oh by the way......
To make the burnt brown sugar I put the sugar into a saucepan over a low medium heat until it melted, stirring from time to time.  I let it burn slightly.  You can see it burning when the bubbles are turning a dark brown and smoke is rising from the mix.  Don't let it burn too much, you just want that smoky flavour.


6 comments:

  1. that sounds really yummy and a must try once again...nice without having all the preserves etc in it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bbq sauce sounds delicious but I hate cooking far too much to do anything other than buy the store variety :) I wish I liked cooking but I really don't unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chez!
    Looking forward to trying your BBQ sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Mum is was amazing! We had friends over for a BBQ last night and we marinated our steak in it and also put some on top of the steak once cooked, it was such a hit the bottle is almost empty haha! Sooooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful web site ypu have, i was googling plum jam but found yours for plum sauce, i am going to make it tomorrow, thank you so much. Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rebecca, thanks for the compliment on my blog. I hope you enjoy your sauce.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...