Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Eating the 'Paleo' Way

Over the years our family has been through its fair share of fits and fads with eating habits, trying different things for our health like eating gluten free or dairy free etc.  Usually we find it doesn't make a huge amount of difference because we don't have any medical conditions that require that we eat this way and we eventually give up. Basically we eat pretty healthy anyway with most of the family being together each night for the evening meal which I cook.  Takeout is limited to about once a fortnight.
'Paleo' Friendly Ham and Egg Baskets for Breakfast
We have just started eating a relaxed version of the 'Paleo' diet.  My son is stricter on what he eats than the rest of us but when I cook an evening meal I try to keep it Paleo friendly.   Now that we have been doing this for a few weeks I have really noticed the difference in my energy levels.  I don't seem to get that mid afternoon slump where I either need to have a nap or a strong coffee to get me through.  Bonus!

The Paleo diet is one of those things that you either think is great or completely off the wall.  Paleo being short for Paleolithic or Cave Man diet, the general food source is meat, vegetables and nuts.  At first I was very skeptical but after giving it some thought I realized that it's not far from what we ate when I was growing up.
Frozen Grapes make a delicious Summer time snack
My parents were farmers and Mum made all our meals.  Takeout was fish and chips about once every 6 months or a Chinese restaurant for special events like Birthdays.  The meals my mother made were things like Roast dinner, steak, sausages or lamb chops and vegetables, cold meat and salad, meatloaf, rissoles or corned beef and vegetables.   Over the years international foods have made a big impact on our lives, foods like curry and rice, pasta and noodle dishes.  While some of my childhood meals were  Spaghetti Bolognese and Lasagna and these types of foods, mostly of our meals were just one version or another of good old meat and veg.

My Paleo meals now include all of those 'growing up days' meals plus some extras I am discovering along the way.  Last night we had a Paleo version of Filipino Pancit which is just delicious and Paleo diet or not this one is a keeper.

You can find the recipe here from http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/04/06/everyday-paleo-pancit/

Another bonus to all this is that my son has wanted to learn more about cooking and so I have been able to get him in the kitchen and prepare him for the life of a university student - out there making his own way and fending for himself.  He cooks his own breakfast every morning and can now easily produce lovely food like the Ham and Egg Baskets above, scrambled eggs, bacon and eggs, omeletes, smoothies, spanish omelet, frittata and stirfry's.  He is turning into quite the chef and it does my mothers heart proud :)

Recipe for the Ham and Egg baskets
Spray a muffin tin with oil or grease with coconut oil or butter
Lay a piece of ham in each muffin hole
Crack an egg in the ham 'basket' and season with salt and pepper
Sprinkle with grated Parmesan Cheese
Bake in a moderate oven 180C (350F) for about 12 mins for soft eggs or 15 for firmer yolks
Decorate with diced Spring Onions

If you want to crisp up the ham on the bottom of the muffin just fry in a pan on the stove top for a few minutes.


3 comments:

  1. Yuuumm, I love frozen grapes! Must try those ham and egg baskets too =D, I pinned a link for your recipe to Pintrest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son has been living away from home and rmoves back next month as he is going to start full-time University. He hates cooking (like his Mum!) and he certainly doesn't go to as much trouble to feed himself as your son does. You have trained him well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son chose to eat this way so I guess that is his motivation to want to learn to cook so he can feed himself. Pizza's and McDonalds are not on the Paleo list :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...