Monday, 23 January 2012

Knitting and Grandchildren


Late last year we were blessed with our first grandchild and of course he is adorable and we love him to bits.  We are lucky enough to live close by and be able to see him nearly every week.
I've heard it said, and it's true that "You love your grandchildren like they are your own but without all the hard work" :)



I enjoy knitting and was taught by both my mother and grandmother when I was about 10 years old or maybe younger, and I have knit on and off ever since.  For me it's a very relaxing pastime and I find myself, needles in hand, in front of the television most evenings unwinding from a busy day at work.

Knitting has recently become a very fashionable hobby again and it's useful for making lovely garments for yourself and your loved ones and also for making handy things for around your home like dishcloths and washcloths.

These are some little things I have been busy knitting for my grandson.

Knitted baby hat - My own pattern
 I have recently branched out into writing knitting patterns and while I don't do this often I enjoy the challenge it brings.  This little yellow hat is a free pattern you can download from Ravelry - Hearts and Bows Baby Hat.  If you add a little ribbon through the eyelet holes it is gorgeous for a baby girl.

Precious Baby Blanket - Square Counterpane Leaves pattern by A.M.

This baby blanket doesn't have a pattern but it is the Counterpane Leaves square pattern, crochet together and then a knitted lace border added.  You can find the pattern for the squares here knitting-and.com/wiki/Quilt

Blanket Buddy - Pattern by Lion Brand

I am a member of a wonderful knitting and crocheting community called Ravelry.  It is a closed site and so you have to join to access all the wonderful patterns and forums but it is free to join.  I have Ravelled about these cute little bunny blanket buddies here.


Puerperium Cardigan - pattern by Kelly Brooker

Baby Surprise Jacket - pattern by Elizabeth Zimmerman and Saartje's Booties
The Baby Surprise Jacket is an interesting knit.  It is all knitted in one piece and looks very much like a strange underwater sea creature at times and then finally all comes together to make this cute little cardigan.  It is a vintage pattern that was originally published in 1968 and has become hugely popular again today.

Do you knit or crochet?  You can find me on Ravelry here.  I'd love to see you there.

7 comments:

  1. pretty much need a like button for this! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful knitting! I'm left-handed and nobody has been able to teach me to knit. I'm starting a new craft group next week though and am told there are 3 left-handed knitters in the group who would love to teach me. They are knitting Trauma Teddies which are given to ambulance officers to give to distressed children I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all your knitted things, but especially love the
    baby blanket, beautiful pattern/design, and the
    colours really look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such sweet knitting projects..all the more special for your first grandchild. The blanket is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look great...and i love my wash clothes as does everyone that i have made them for..so absobent..great...love the little beanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,Can you tell me the pattern for the lace border for the prettyleaves blanket.Thanks
    Nitika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nitika, I'm sorry but I don't have the pattern for the edging anymore. It was given to me by a friend who also knit the same blanket and I modified it to fit the corners.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...