Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Paleo Pizza - Gluten Free

I tried a recipe for Paleo pizza dough from the Paleo Diet Lifestyle website and it has turned out quite well although a little dry.  I added some freshly ground sea salt to the mix and left out the garlic powder as I didn't have any.
Pizza is one of those foods you have to say goodbye to when you turn to a paleo diet and most paleo-friendly pizza crust options are made of ground beef mince which really didn't appeal to me.  However this pizza dough is different and more like a dough or cake mix.  It is also gluten free.


Pizza - Paleo Friendly

Paleo Pizza Crust (Gluten Free)

Ingredients
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 t-spn sea salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk (or coconut milk if you are dairy free as well)

Preheat your oven to 190C (370F)

Prepare the crust as follows:  Place dry ingredients into a bowl, add eggs, oil and milk and stir with a wooden spoon or whisk.  The mixture becomes like cake batter and is light and airy.
Spread the crust mix on a well greased tray and bake in the oven for approximately 10 - 15 minutes.
Take the crust out of the oven and spread with your favourite pizza sauce or tomato paste.


Pizza dough mix ready to spread on a baking tray

Pizza toppings

Toppings I used for this pizza
- 4 tbsp Organic Basil and tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ham of the bone, shredded
- 1/2 cup salami or pepperoni
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped spinach leaves
- 1/2 small red capsicum (pepper)
- 1 small onion sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese (optional if dairy free)


Return pizza to the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes.  


Pizza crust straight from the oven
The dough ended up about 1 cm thick and was a bit dry.  It had a cake like consistency once it was baked but it held together well when sliced into pieces.
I think next time I would try to spread it much thinner and bake it for longer to try to make the base crisp up more, however made like I did would work as a delicious 'dessert' pizza base.

Fresh toppings on the crust ready to bake

I found it easier than making a normal pizza dough and next time I'm going to top it with some feta cheese, sundried tomatoes, olives and herbs.  The blandness of the base required rich tasting ingredients.

Happy baking
Chez

2 comments:

  1. You should try the one I pinned to pintrest a few day ago that uses cauliflower for the base with herbs, cheese and garlic to make it taste better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might try that one next time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...