Friday, 20 January 2012

Re-growing Spring Onions (Green Onions, Scallions)

Yesterday I blogged about re-growing celery and because my experiment with that seemed to be going well it raised the question "What else could this work with?" Well apparently Spring Onions (Green Onions for our US visitors or Scallions) will also re-grow this way.

Store bought bunch of Spring Onions

Cut off the white parts and roots at the bottom of the spring onion about 4 cms up.  Then it's basically the same as for the celery from my last post.

Freshly cut Spring Onions in tepid water

Place them in a jar of warm water and put them outside or in a window with good light.  After a couple of days you should see new growth on the green tops.

Day 2 
On day 2 they have already made remarkable growth.  They regrow so fast that you can really notice a difference each day.

Day 5

By about day 5 and they are looking like I could cut some off and use them if I needed too however I think I will leave them to grow some more.  However I did notice that the water had started to go a bit cloudy and smelt very oniony so I think that rinsing them each day and changing the water is probably a good idea.   I think that after 12 - 14 days you should almost have a completely new bunch and best of all they were completely free!


6 comments:

  1. Thank you Chez. What a great idea!

    I'm enjoying reading your blog. As a new blogger on the other side of the world, I'm trying to do just what you are doing, in this year of turning 50! I look forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. It's so nice to know that other people are doing the same thing no matter where we live in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're kidding me! What a great way of saving money!!
    You will understand me if I say I am going to try this at home, wouldn't you? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, great isn't it. Mine are just at the stage now where, in a few days, I can start to reuse them again. I have been changing the water every couple of days to keep it fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can actually cut them right back to just about 2cm or so with no green and even if they have next to no roots they will grow them pronto. When you have have a couple of shoots with about 20cm of growth, I plant them in the garden and if you just cut off the shoots you need each time, they will last for months and months. I had a few plants at my last place that I had been cutting off as needed for about a year or so!

    Will have to try the celery trick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi chez..great idea will give it a go in the water...i have done it in the garden and also with my old onions...you can use the tops if you run out of onions for a receipe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...