Monday, 27 February 2012

15 Minutes

You can do anything for 15 minutes.

You know all those jobs around the house and yard that you just keep putting off over and over again because you either hate doing them, it's too hot (or cold) or they are just too big to think of tackling?  Well taken in bite size pieces of 15 minutes they all of a sudden become much more manageable.

I hate ironing and usually there is an overflowing basket of ironing around the house somewhere, but if you do just 15 minutes of ironing once a day or even a couple of times a day it will eventually disappear.  The same with cleaning walls, folding laundry, cleaning out the garage, dusting, mowing the lawn, weeding, washing the windows, cleaning down cobwebs, filing the paperwork pile, cleaning out the spare room or that cupboard you are too afraid to open for fear you will be buried alive.  Any job that you really don't like you can accomplish by breaking it down into smaller pieces.

Simple kitchen timer
Set a timer for 15 minutes.  If you don't have a timer like the one in the photo, maybe you have an oven timer you can set or an alarm on your watch, phone, alarm clock.  All you need is something that you can set for 15 minutes and it will sound an alarm of some sort to let you know time's up and it's over. Knowing that the alarm is going to go off and you will be able to stop helps you to keep going no matter how much you dislike what you are doing.

I have used this technique many times over the years since I first saw it on the Flylady website and it works for me.  Maybe it will work for you too.

Freshly mowed lawn
I have had two of my teenage/adult children move out of home to go to university in the last few weeks and that has left me with a greater load of work to do around here and so I have recently employed this 15 minute trick to get me through some of the bigger jobs like mowing the lawn.

At the end of the 15 minutes I reward myself with something I like to do like sitting down with a coffee and some computer time or relaxing outside with a cold drink, or sitting quietly and doing some knitting or craft.

Try it, you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish.  I'm going to use this over the next few days to get all the lawn edges done.

Chez

3 comments:

  1. I might give it a go to transform my floordrobe back into a wardrobe lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a firm believer in the 15 minute job list. I just don't always keep up with it. I used to curl up on a Sunday night and write up a list of about a dozen 15 minute jobs to do. It gave me focus and over the course of the week I could get them crossed off and feel like I really accomplished something. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me about this 15 minute rule. I've been getting Flylady's emails for years now but haven't got around to reading them lately. I will in future! The 15 minute rule is her best advice in my opinion - must start doing it again! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...