Thursday, 23 February 2012

Apple Pancakes - Paleo

I have wanted to try these Apple Pancakes made for a Paleo diet for awhile now so I tried them out for dinner one night when there was only myself to cook for.

They worked okay, tasted great but were a bit awkward to turn over and maintain their pancake shape.

Whisk eggs, vanilla essence, water and honey
As usual I just used what I had in the fridge and so these 2 lovely little Jonathon Apples where used up in this recipe.

Peel and chop apples
 Grain Free Apple Pancakes - Makes 8 


Ingredients
3 eggs
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp water
1 1/2 cups almond meal
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1 cup peeled and diced apple
Melted butter or oil for pan

Method
Preheat the pan over low heat
Whisk the eggs, honey, vanilla and water together in a large bowl.
Mix in the almond flour, salt, and bicarb soda
Fold in the peeled, diced apples
Using a large spoon or 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop batter into the pan.
Cook until the edges are dry and the tops have a few bubbles.  The heat needs to be really low.
Using a thin metal spatula, flip the pancakes and cook 1 or 2 more minutes, being careful not to burn

Serve warm with maple syrup and butter or cream or ice cream.


One at a time is best for flipping these babies

I had to let them cook very slowly, flip them really quickly and then kind of pat them back into a pancake shape with the spatula.  Once cooked on both sides I quickly cooked them on the first side again just to get any raw bits that showed up in the quick flipping.

I cooked them one at a time so there was more room for flipping successfully.

Cook very slowly or they will overcook on the outside before cooking on the inside

I wouldn't say they were a disaster but not necessarily the prettiest pancakes to look at on the plate. However they are Paleo and they were yummy.  I served them with Maple syrup and some butter but it would have been cream or ice-cream if I had some.

I think I would make them again.

1 comment:

  1. sounds great...and no flour eh...must try these

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...