Saturday, 11 February 2012

Good Old Lamb Stew

This lamb stew is one of our family meals that I have been eating since I was a little girl.  My mother made it regularly as lamb was a cheap cut of meat many years ago and it is made with inexpensive neck or forequarter chops.  Now I make it for my family and everyone enjoys it.  I don't know whether the recipe has ever been written down as it is just kept in my head and I'm certain Mum doesn't have a recipe either.  She probably got it from her mother.

There are hardly any ingredients and most of them are usually already in the fridge.
Old Fashion Basic Lamb Stew
 Lamb Stew 

Ingredients   (you can adjust the amount of ingredients to suit your family size)

Lamb chops - a cheap cut, either neck or forequarter
1 onion chopped.
Olive oil 
4 sticks celery
2 large carrots
3 medium potatoes (or sweet potato)
flour to thicken (or Arrowroot flour)
salt and pepper to taste


Veggies for the stew
Method
Heat olive oil in a pan and add lamb chops, fry until lovely and brown and caramelized.  Add chopped onion and continue to fry until onion is transparent.  Cover with water and stir to scrape all the lovely caramelization from the pan as this adds most of the flavour.  Simmer for about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile peel the other veggies and cut into 1" cubes.
Add to the pot with some salt and pepper to taste and extra water to make sure everything is still just covered. Simmer for another 30 minutes or until the chops are tender.
Adjust seasonings and thicken with flour if it is needed.

I serve this as it is with some crusty bread to slop up all the left over juices on the plate.  Leave the bread off if you are eating 'Paleo' and use Arrowroot flour to thicken.


Chez





1 comment:

  1. LOVE lamb stew... we use peas instead of celery though... and slopping it up with bread at the end is the best part =D yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...