Wednesday, 8 February 2012

MYO Chewy Muesli Bars..umm Balls?

We go through a lot of muesli bars in our house.  Living with a house full of teenage grazers they are a quick snack food and they also go into our school/work lunch boxes.  They are our 'go to' food for the diabetic in the family who needs a quick energetic snack on him at all times.

Faced with an empty pantry and no energy left to do the grocery shopping (I'll do it tomorrow..sigh) I decided to try making my own and found a recipe online that looked easy enough.  Guess what?  It was!  So easy in fact that I wonder why we buy them as a convenience food.  I have been making slices for years and they are just another slice cut into long narrow bar shapes.

The recipe I found didn't quite suit the ingredients I had left in the pantry and I also wanted to make sure I didn't have any nuts in them as our school is a nut free zone.  I wanted to add some white chocolate and leave out the caster sugar, so below is my considerably altered recipe.

Chewy Cranberry and White Chocolate Muesli Bars
(Makes 8 bars)

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 75g butter
  • 2 cups raw muesli
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or other dried fruits)
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • Extra melted white chocolate for decorating.

I didn't end up using the cinnamon and added white chocolate instead
Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a square cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
  2. Place the honey and butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the butter has melted. Remove and set aside to cool slightly.

    Honey and butter melting
  3. Place the muesli, cranberries and chocolate chips in a large bowl. Pour in the honey mixture and stir until well combined and the muesli mixture is evenly coated.
  4. Transfer the mixture to the prepared tray and flatten the surface with a spoon or the palm of your hand.

    I found the palm of my hand worked best to flatten it down.
  5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and set. Remove, set aside to cool completely then slice into bars.  Drizzle with melted white chocolate and serve.

THEN DISASTER STRUCK!!

Sticky toasted muesli mess!

This is what I ended up with, a pile of muesli bar mix that wouldn't come out of the well greased and paper lined pan.  I was reluctant to throw it away and it tasted really good so putting my thinking cap on I decided to make Muesli Balls.   Who said they had to be straight flat little strips anyway?

Remodeled Muesli Bars now Muesli Balls
They were a hit with the family!  I don't think the disaster was due to changing the ingredients as I didn't alter quantities or textures.  It was very difficult to get the baked on honey out of the pan.  If I made these again I would make them with a very heavy duty baking paper on the bottom and up the sides as well.

What would you have done?  Do you throw away cooking disasters or come up with creative ways to save things?

A side note - they were rather sweet so I think you could reduce the amount of honey by about a third.

Chez




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...