Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Plum Jam

Yesterday I blogged about the plum sauce I made and so today here is the jam recipe that I bought the plums for in the first place.  It is a basic plum jam recipe with step by step instructions and photos if you are new to jam making.

Homemade Plum Jam



Plum Jam


Ingredients
2 kilos of plums, pitted and cut into 1/4's
1 cup water
1 lemon (or 2 tbsp juice)
1.5 kilos sugar
1 sachet of Jamsetta (optional)

Method
Place plums and water in large heavy-based saucepan over a high heat.  Wash lemon well, squeeze and add both the juice and the left over lemon halves to the pan.  This helps extract more pectin to help the jam set.  



Once the plums have broken up into a pulp (about 15 mins) heat the sugar in a microwave for a few minutes, being careful not to burn it and add to the plum mix.
Set temperature to keep jam at a rolling boil and stir often to prevent it from sticking to the bottom and burning.  Jam recipes usually say that this process only takes about 20 minutes but from experience I would say closer to an hour or more to get your jam to setting point.

Add squeezed lemons for extra pectin
Test to see whether the jam has reached setting point.  This can be done in a few different ways but the method I prefer is to place a plate in the freezer until chilled.  Spoon some jam onto the cold plate and leave for a minute or two.  If the jam creates a skin when pushed with your finger it is ready.

Testing to see if the jam is set
Pour into sterilized jars and seal while still hot to create a vacuum and prevent bacterial growth. Label and store in your pantry.   These labels I found as free printables online and a quick google search will bring up plenty to choose from.  Most say to print out onto sticker paper or ready made labels but I just print onto regular copy paper and paste onto the jar with a glue stick.

Printable labels
Tips
If you have some marbles you can add them to the jam and as they boil around they help to keep the jam from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

Use Jamsetta, found in most supermarkets, if you don't have much time or want a lighter coloured jam.
Follow the directions on the packet. Adding Jamsetta increases the cost of your jam slightly as it is an ingredient you don't need but is handy to have if you don't want to be cooking jam for hours.  In Woolworths the cost of Jamsetta is $1.75 per packet.

I have figured the cost per 500g of my homemade plum jam is about $1.30 (using the jamsetta) whereas to buy it from the supermarket ranges in price from about 1.50 for a cheap (goodness knows what's in it) jar to $3.50 for Cottees brand and $4.50 for a small jar of gourmet brand.  I am way ahead by making my own and I know exactly what is in it.

Chez

1 comment:

  1. I am right into jam making. I posted about it on my blog http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/making-jam.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...