Tuesday, 28 February 2012

Plum Sauce

My daughter recently found plums at her local fruit shop for a ridiculously low price of 99c per kilo and she rang and asked me if I would like some.   Umm yes please!

Homemade Plum Sauce

When you can buy in-season fruit cheap it is the ideal time to stock your pantry with all sorts of homemade goodies.  I asked her to pick me up 4 kilos worth to make some plum jam but while making the jam I decided to try some plum sauce as well.  Here is my recipe below because as usual I have researched a number of different ones and combined ingredients until the sauce is to my liking.



This sauce can be used as a dipping sauce for spring rolls, or chicken, duck or pork strips etc, or it can be used as a marinade on pork ribs or chicken pieces.

Plum Sauce


Ingredients
1.5 kilos of plums, pitted and halved
1 onion diced
2 cloves garlic (or 1 tsp garlic salt)
Salt to taste (less if garlic salt was used)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup port
1/2 cup malt vinegar (or cider or brown vinegar)

Press through a sieve 
Method
Place all ingredients in a large heavy saucepan.  Bring to the boil and reduce to a medium heat. Once plums are pulpy turn the heat off and cool slightly before placing in a blender.  Blend until smooth and then push through a sieve or food mill so that your sauce is smooth.
Return to the heat and simmer for another 10 minutes adjusting seasonings to your liking.  Cool slightly and bottle in sterilized bottles and jars.

Return to heat and adjust seasonings to taste

Process jars in a water bath for 30 minutes if you are storing in the pantry.  If you don't want to process them store in the fridge.

I think pork spareribs in plum sauce are in our very near future.

Chez

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...