Saturday, 4 February 2012

Recycling

Our small town has a wonderful recycling centre and the staff there make terrific things from the junk people dump.  It is not a regular rubbish tip as you are not allowed to dump ordinary household rubbish there.  They only take things like green waste from the garden which they turn into mulch to resell, furniture and other household items and scrap metal.


I took a trip there today as I was looking for something to use as seed trays to start my vegetables in and came home with some wonderful bargains.  I was very careful not to just buy for the sake of buying, as everything is so cheap, but wanted to try and stick to things I actually needed or have been looking out for  for awhile.

Recycled items given a new home instead of going into landfill
This was the haul today.  I picked up the cat litter tray (which looks brand new) for just $1.  This is going to be my seed raising tray after I put some holes in the bottom for drainage.  The wrought iron plate rack was $3 and is something I keep my eyes out for everywhere I go as I love to display some lovely old plates I have on the walls of our home so this was a special find for me.  The seed or fertilizer spreader was only $2 and has seen some good use but is still in good working order.  I think about buying one of these everytime I fertilize the lawn, which reminds me..........!  Lastly the water feature pump was only $8, can you believe it and it looks like it has never been taken out of its box.  My water feature pump broke and we have been looking to buy one of these for about 6 months now but they are quite expensive usually so it's a great find.  Grand total was $14.



While I was there I took some photos for you of the garden ornaments made from recycled pipes and iron.  Aren't the guys who make these clever?  This one is of a rather formidable looking red back spider and I think he is hiding under a little toadstool.


PVC pipe cactus.  I guess he would be pretty drought tolerant.  :)





Simple toadstool garden ornaments in amongst this gorgeously vibrant foliage.  



This green spider was huge, probably about 2 meters across and he is rather cute but I am not a fan of spiders so it's best he stays where he is.  Living in the sub-tropics we often get the real thing inside and usually they are about the size of a small adult hand.  I know they are good for keeping insect numbers down but I just can't warm to living with them.  They need to stay outdoors thank you!


I'm not sure what is down this garden path as it was a restricted area but doesn't the little gate make it inviting to wander down and take a look?


I think this seat would be great in my garden but unfortunately these items are not for sale.  They do bring out the creative spirit in me though.  I wish I had more time.  The large gecko wall art is pretty cool too.


These flowers in this last photo are spray painted.  I'm not sure how good this is for the plant but they sure look good.  Once the flower heads have died off and you are left with the dried head and seed pods a quick spray with some bright paint can work wonders.  I wonder if you picked the heads, hung them up to dry and then painted them, they could make a nice indoor flower decoration.

Do you have a recycle center close to you?

Chez

2 comments:

  1. NICE WHAT A GREAT REYCLE SHOP TO HAVE CLOSE TO YOU...WOULD LIKE SOME OF THAT GARDEN ART IN MY GARDEN TOO.YOU DID AL RIGHT WITH YOUR BUYS ANF BEST OF ALL NOTNMUCH MONEY

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do have an awesome recycling program in our county. Love it and you've now prompted me to write about it!

    Great deals. Love the plate rack. Looks just like the one I bought not long ago at our local thrift store for $2. Still had the price tag on it for $38. My "best buy" that day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...