Tuesday, 21 February 2012

Teacup Candles - from recycled materials

I saw this idea on Pinterest a few months ago and have been dying to try it ever since.  I think these are just gorgeous and they would make a lovely gift.


Teacup Candles

I didn't want to have to go out to buy supplies or spend any money on making these so having a little hunt around the house I tried using what I already had.  The result worked beautifully.


Gather your supplies
I already had these candles in the house but they can be easily bought for a couple of dollars from the discount shops.

Melt the recycled candle
First melt the existing candle over a low to medium heat on the stovetop.  You could use a glass bowl in the microwave too I'm sure.  Wax gets very hot so it needs to be a container that can stand some heat.

Stick the wick onto the chopstick with a little wax
I even recycled the wick from the store bought candles but because they are quite short, there is not enough length to tie them around the chopstick, so I 'glued' them on with a little of the melted wax.  I just dabbed some onto the chopstick and then held the wick there until it cooled and stuck.  There was enough wick in one store bought candle to cut in half for both teacup candles.

Suspend the chopstick and wick over the teacup

Place the chopstick over the top of the cup so the wick is suspended in the centre.  If your chopstick rolls a bit and just won't stay in place you can anchor it to the top of the cup with a little more cooled wax.  One of mine played nice and one needed to be held in place with the wax.

Add essential or perfumed oils to coolish wax

After you melt the store bought candle on the stovetop leave it to cool.  You want it to still be a pourable liquid though.  Mine took quite awhile to cool down but it is a very warm day here today.  Once the melted wax has cooled you can add your essential oils.  I used about a teaspoon of a Rose and Sandalwood blend.

Pour or ladle warm wax into teacups and centre the wick
Pour or ladle the melted and perfumed wax into your teacups, being very careful not to disturb the suspended wick, and leave them until completely cold.

Finished teacup candle
Once the wax is firm you can carefully remove the chopstick from the wick and trim the wick up to approximately half a centimeter above your new candle.

I got two teacup candles from one recycled candle
One of the store bought candles in the top photo made these two teacup candles with both wax and wick.  I added a slight pink tinge to my wax when it was melted on the stovetop.  I used a soap colourant but the hot wax didn't like it to much and it crackled and spat in protest a little bit.  However the end result was a lovely soft pink hue.

You can also buy wax beads, wick and wax dyes from craft stores.  In Australia I have seen them in Spotlight.  Pretty teacups can be picked up in Antique or Op Shops.

Chez

2 comments:

  1. My daughter and I did this last year (2010) for Christmas gifts for friends and co-workers. We found candles at the thrift store, along with lots of different jars, tea cups, candle holders, whatever a candle can burn in, we found! Re-used the wicks but also found new wicks and the small metal piece drastically reduced at Michael's. Worked out to about .60 cents per candle. I saw these today in the tea cups at the antique mall selling for just under $20! We had rave reviews, requests for more and will make them next year again. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THESE!!! I have wanted to make these myself as gifts for people... think u have inspired me to actually do it =D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...