Wednesday, 15 February 2012

Tortilla Chips and Hommus

I had a couple of tortilla wraps left over that were slightly too stale to wrap nicely without cracking so rather than throw them out and waste them I thought I would try making my own tortilla chips to have with a dip.  I had seen this done before but haven't actually tried it but they worked wonderfully and I had a hard time stopping the kids from eating them all before I got the hommus made to go with them.

Homemade Hommus and Tortilla Chips


Tortilla Chips

Ingredients
Olive oil
Garlic Salt
Dried Thyme or other herbs


Cutting the seasoned flat bread
Method
Brush tortillas with olive oil and sprinkle with some garlic salt and thyme, or flavouring of your choice.
Cut tortillas into wedges like a pizza.
Bake on a flat tray in the oven for 5 - 7 minutes or until they are beginning to go golden.  They don't take long so keep an eye on them.  As you can see I left mine a little bit long but they still tasted fine.


Toasted Tortilla Chips

We live in the Middle East for 3 years and Hommus was a part of life there.  We ate out a lot and hommus was a regular appetizer on the table at every restaurant from a little 'hole in the wall' down a shabby street to high end dining in a 5 star hotel.  The whole family loves it.



Hommus made in a food processor is quick and easy


Hommus


Ingredients
600g can chick peas
3 cloves garlic
100ml olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin (optional)
2 tbsp tahini
juice of 1 lemon

Method
Place all ingredients into a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
Serve with tortilla chips (above) or Turkish bread and fresh carrot sticks

The whole process to make the Hommus and Chips above can be achieved in about 15 minutes.  It is a quick, easy and healthy snack.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea for using up the tortillas! Thanks for sharing. Btw, I've nominated you for a Liebster Award ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, thanks Sammyleia. I had to look that up. I'm new to blogging.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...