Wednesday, 7 March 2012

Baking Soda for cleaning

I think that most of us know by now that chemicals in cleaning products are not healthy for us and our families and in particular not healthy for people who have compromised immune systems.

I have been using Bi-carb Soda (Baking Soda) and white vinegar to clean in my home for many years but over the weekend I discovered a couple of new ways of cleaning with it and both of them worked beautifully.

Greasy rangehood filter
This is my greasy rangehood above my stove.  I usually clean this by spraying some grease busting chemical over it and scrubbing then rinsing with hot water and most of the grease comes out.
However a read of a new way to clean it using just Bicarb Soda and boiling water.
Adding Bicarb Soda to boiling water
First you find your largest pot, fill it with water and bring it to the boil.  Then slowly, and I mean tablespoon by tablespoon, add 1/2 cup Bicarb Soda to the boiling water.  It will fizz up quite erratically and so care needs to be taken during this process.

Cleaning the filter
Place your filter into the boiling water as much as will fit and with a soft brush begin to gently wash away the grease.  The difference was amazing and very quick but unfortunately it doesn't show up very well in the photo.  Then turn the filter up the other way and repeat.  Finally rinse under hot running tap water to remove the Bicarb.  My filter has plastic grooved ends so I didn't leave it sitting on the bottom of the pot for very long in case they melted.

Bicarb to clean drainpipes
My drains have seemed a little sluggish lately so I gave them the Bicarb soda and vinegar treatment to help unblock them and dissolve any grease down there.  This is not a new cleaning technique with Bicarb soda but I thought I would mention it here as I was going along with my weekend chores.

I tipped 1/2 cup Bicarb into the drain and then poured 1/2 cup white vinegar down there too. Leave it for about half an hour and then follow with a kettle full of boiling water.  Done regularly this should keep your drains clean and odor free.

Add the boiling water
The other new Bicarb cleaning trick I tried was making a paste of the Bicarb soda and some water to a thin toothpaste consistency and used it with a soft cloth to polish the sink.  Again the photo doesn't show just how grimy the sink had become but believe me it needed a good clean.

Making a bicarb Soda and water paste
I was amazed at how shiny and polished the sink came up after just 10 minutes of cleaning with the paste and a soft cloth.  Amazing!

Spotless shiny sink :D
I'm going to try the Bicarb paste on my shower screens next to see if it will remove the soap and lime build up on them.   I already use it on my wash basins and baths so I think it will be a success.

What ways do you use Bicarb Soda for cleaning?  

Chez

1 comment:

  1. yes bi carb is marvelous stuff...a paste used on dirty wall narks works well too

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...