Monday, 12 March 2012

Vinegar - Green Cleaner

I know there are hundreds of blogs out there that show you how to make your own laundry liquid or soap but recently I found one that had a recipe for homemade fabric softener and I thought I would try it out.  I've played with the measurements a bit to fit into a 2 litre bottle.


Homemade Fabric Softener
Ingredients
  • 4 cups hot water
  • 2 cups distilled white vinegar
  • 1 cup hair conditioner (cheapest brand you can find)


Method
  • Mix conditioner & hot water well, until conditioner is dissolved completely.
  • Add the vinegar, and mix well.
  • Store in a large container (empty fabric softener container, empty large vinegar bottle etc)
Use approx. 3 tbsp in the fabric softener spot in your washing machine


I have a new front loading machine and was reluctant to try homemade ingredients in it but after 
researching more I have found that they seem to work just fine as they are not high sudsing.

You can also just use a cup of white vinegar on its own as a fabric softener.  The vinegary smell doesn't last on your clothes once they are dry, but I like a very light fresh smell that fabric softeners leave. 
This 2 litre bottle of homemade fabric softener only cost me $1.00 to make. I bought a cheap conditioner from the supermarket bottom shelf for $1.49 and used half of it.  The vinegar cost $1.09 for a 2 litre bottle and I used about a quarter of that. 


Cleaning your washing machine
Front end loading machines also have a tendency to get a mouldy smell to them if closed up while still damp inside.  To eliminate this you can use white vinegar to clean your machine (works well on top loaders too).  Just put a cup of white vinegar into the soap dispenser and another cup inside the 
machine.  Throw in an old towel for some scrubbing action, and wash on a hot cycle.


Dishwashers
I use white vinegar as a rinse aid in my dishwasher too.  I just fill the rinse aid dispenser with straight vinegar and use as normal.  


It is a good idea to give your dishwasher a clean once every couple of months by tipping one cup of white vinegar into the bottom of the dishwasher and running it on a long hot cycle.  Done regularly this should keep any build up or mould from growing inside your machine.

2 comments:

  1. A bit of a fan of vinegar here - it's just so useful! Your fabric softener recipes sounds very interesting. I sometimes use straight vinegar in the washing machine as a fabric softener but would be interested in trying it with the hair conditioner to compare - particularly on towels.

    I've been using it in the dishwasher too as a rinse aid..along with some homemade dishwasher powder that I think I saw on Linda's blog at The Greenhaven Good Life. It's fairly good although the dishes need to be rinsed first..do you have a dishwasher powder recipe that you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a dishwasher detergent that I make myself but if you ever find one that works well I'd love to know. It's on my to do list to try some out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...