Thursday, 12 April 2012

Bread and Butter Cucumber Pickles

I had such an abundance of cucumbers from the garden this year and despite giving them away to friends and family, and eating them ourselves in all sorts of different ways, I still had way too many.  I also like to stockpile the pantry so I knew that making Bread and Butter Cucumber Pickles would be the way to go.

Bread and Butter Cucumber Pickles

My daughter was keen to come and join me so we spent a lovely afternoon together in the kitchen, preparing food for our families.

Prepare the ingredients (note: the Cummin powder in this photo was not part of this recipe)
 Bread and Butter Cucumber Pickle
Ingredients
12 lebanese cucumbers
sea salt
4 cups White Vinegar
1 cups Raw Sugar
1 tbsp Yellow Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Tumeric Powder
1 tbsp Coriander Seeds

Method
Wash and sterilize your storage jars in any method you choose.  I boil the kettle and fill the jars up and their upturned lids and leave them until ready to be used.  You could also put them in the oven for about 20 minutes.

Slice the cucumbers thinly and sprinkle with salt.  Leave for a few hours or overnight and then rinse and drain.  Pack lightly into sterilized jars.

Place all the other ingredients into a saucepan and heat over a medium heat and cook stirring for about 3 minutes.  Turn off the heat and cool slightly.  Pour over cucumbers in the jars and seal tightly.


Slicing the cucumbers
I picked up this handy slicer at a second hand shop, then when I bought it home put it through a hot wash on the dishwasher and also poured boiling water over it to sterilize it.  It only cost me $3 and works so well, especially for this job that I consider it $3 well spent.

Salting and resting the sliced cucumbers
I left the cucumber slices sprinkled with salt for about 2 hours before continuing with the pickling.  This is the longest part of the process as the rest is very quick and easy.  You could leave them overnight too.  The salt softens the cucumber and draws out excess moisture.

Simmering the pickling brine 
Cucumber slices packed into sterilized jars
 My 12 cucumbers and the qualities in the recipe above made these 7 jars.  The cucumbers are not packed tightly because I wanted all pieces covered with the pickling brine.

Pouring on the pickling brine
I pour the pickling brine on while it is still quite hot so that once the jars lids are on tightly the pressure from the hot liquid causes a vacuum inside the jar and the freshness pop seal on the lids 'pop' back in.  If one doesn't seal like this I will use that one first and keep it in the fridge.  The others I have stored in my pantry.

Leave the cucumbers to pickle for a few days before using.




1 comment:

  1. Mmm yum, my favourite kind of pickles! They look delicious, Chez. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...