Saturday, 21 April 2012

Parade of Socks

Today's post is about socks,  knitted socks!  We've already established that I love to knit socks and that it is way more economical to actually go out and buy them, but knitting is my hobby and therefore I count the cost not in the clothing budget but in the 'entertainment' budget.  A pair of knitted socks can cost anywhere from $5 to $30 depending on the yarn you have used.  The top end being something like cashmere or alpaca socks of course!

Pattern - 'Tesserae Sock' by Anne Hanson
The entertainment goes on for a few weeks, being the time it takes me to actually produce a pair that can be worn, so I think that even at the top end of $20 to $30 a pair that is only about $8 - $10 a week for entertainment.  Quite a number of these socks have also been Birthday, Christmas or Mother's Day gifts making them even more economical and able to come from the 'Gifts' budget.

Here is a parade of socks I have knitted for myself, friends and family. I hope you enjoy watching the slideshow I put together.  It's my first time producing a slideshow that will merge with my blog layout.

video

This last pair of socks are knit from a yarn I hand dyed using some fresh Turmeric root.  I love their bright sunny look, enough to brighten even the dullest wintery day.

Pattern - 'Spring Socks Orla' by Andrea D 

To learn more about how to dye your own yarn with natural dyes sources from nature or your own garden you can check out this helpful website. All Natural Dyeing


Chez










2 comments:

  1. Oh, those turmeric dyed sock are just the bees knees, Chez! Loved the parade (and the justifying!). You have quite a number of socks under your belt - literally!

    Last week at spinning group we had a workshop on how to go about knitting socks, two at a time on circulars from the toe up. I was blown away! I can't wait to try it at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your logic... entertainment budget, not clothing budget. :-)

    I haven't gotten to the point of gifting socks... except to Hubba. Because when I do the math for the hours I spend... it's a whole lot more than $20 a pair. ;-)

    I'm impressed by the turmeric dye job. Wow, it's so bright!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...