Monday, 21 May 2012

Meals for under $10 - Fried Rice & Marinated Chicken Wings

Feeding 4 for under $10

I'm starting a new feature on how to feed your family inexpensively but still feed them well.  We all know that the economy is failing and everyone is having to tighten their belts to make ends meet.  I have found that when bills need to be paid it is often the grocery budget that any unexpected expenses are taken from and I have to feed the family with whatever is left.

This feature will showcase recipes that I have found to be inexpensive but still nutritious and tasty and will help to stretch the grocery budget even further.

I generally shop at Aldi who I find considerably cheaper for groceries than other stores, but some items I buy from either IGA or Woolworths if Aldi doesn't stock them.  The prices of items will fluctuate from season to season but for the purpose of costing these recipes I have used prices as they are currently when I shop for these recipes.  I also source some of the vegetables and herbs from my home garden but I will include the prices for these items as if they were store bought.

Fried Rice and Marinated Chicken Wings - Approximate total cost $8.50 to feed 4 - 5 adults.



Fried Rice  (approx $1.00 per serve)
Ingredients
6 cups cooked rice
1 onion finely diced
1clove garlic
1 carrot finely diced
1 egg
1 or 2 rashers of bacon, diced
1/2 cup peas
2 tbsp soy sauce (optional)
3 tbsp olive oil or preferred oil for frying


Method
I find cooking the rice the day before and placing it in the fridge overnight helps to stop the fried rice from being gluggy.
Heat oil in large wok or pan and add onion, garlic and bacon.  Cook for 1 minute, add carrot and peas and cook for another minute.  Add rice and soy sauce and fry over high heat stirring constantly and scraping rice from bottom and sides of pan.  Beat egg with a 1 tbsp water.  Pour into  a flat bowl or container and microwave until cooked (or cook in wok before cooking fried rice).  Slice omelette into strips and carefully toss through the fried rice.

I can sometimes get a kilo of chicken wings for $2 on special and when I see them I usually buy a couple of kilos and freeze them.  Today they cost me $3.70 kg at Woolworths.


Marinated Chicken Wings (approx $1.10 per serve - serving size 4-6 pieces)
Ingredients
1kg chicken wings
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp grated ginger or 1/4 tsp ground ginger powder (optional)
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbls honey
1 tbsp tomato sauce (ketchup)

Method
Cut chicken wings at the joints so you have 3 pieces in each.  Discard the tips.  I save them for soup stock or feed to pets raw, they are good for their teeth.



Mix together all ingredients except chicken wings.  Add Chicken, cover and marinate in fridge for an hour or two.
Spread into a greased baking dish and bake in a moderate oven for
15 - 20 minutes or until cooked through.

The marinated chicken can be prepared ahead of time and frozen.  Thaw and bake in oven when needed.

1 comment:

  1. great idea for posts, i look forward to more cheap food ideas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...