Monday, 28 May 2012

Meals under $10 - Easy Beef Stroganoff

Here is another easy and tasty meal to feed the family for under $10 although you need to shop carefully for the meat component of this dish to keep costs down.

Total Cost - $10 (depending on the price of your steak)

Beef Stroganoff is one of my go-to meals when I want something quick as it only takes about 20 minutes from start to table once you know the recipe.  I usually buy the stir fry steak strips from the supermarket or when I buy meat in bulk I pre-cut steak strips and freeze to eliminate the extra step in the cooking process.  Chicken or Turkey can be substituted and would reduce the cost of this dish.


Easy Beef Stroganoff  - Serves 4 adults (Approx $2.50 - $3.00 per serve)
Ingredients
500g Blade or Round steak cut into thin strips for a stir fry
1 onion, sliced
1 1/2 cups mushrooms sliced
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tbsp Paprika
2 tbsp tomato paste
Pasta of your choice, I use spirals or fettuccine
Salt and pepper for seasoning

Method
Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente, or to your usual method.
While pasta is cooking, heat oil in pan and fry the steak until nearly cooked through, add onions and mushroom slices and fry for 2 minutes.  Mix the tomato paste, sour cream and paprika into the meat and vegetables and heat until mushrooms are cooked.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve on a bed of warm pasta. Sprinkle with a dash of paprika or some chopped parsley to decorate if desired.

Chez





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...