Monday, 11 June 2012

Meals Under $10 - Chilli Con Carne

Chilli Con Carne, now known as just 'Chili' around our home, is a rich flavoursome and nourishing meal.  I have tweaked the recipe from the Australian Women's Weekly recipe cards plus some additions from the 'Best Ever Chili Recipes' I've found over the years to one that we all love and we have it about once a month.  It is a great Paleo meal on it's own or served with salad.

Chili  (Approximate cost $9)
Ingredients
500gm minced beef (I have also substituted turkey mince)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, diced
1 clove garlic
1 red capsicum (bell pepper), diced finely
1 bayleaf
2 tspn cumin powder
250g tomatoes,chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water (leave out water if using liquid beef stock)
2 beef stock cubes (or 2 cups beef stock)
1 tspn chili powder or fresh chilies finely chopped
1/2 cup red wine
1 can red kidney beans
salt and pepper to taste

Method
Heat oil in pan and add minced beef, fry until brown.  Add onions & garlic and tomato paste and cook for 2 mins.  Add tomatoes, stock cubes, wine, bayleaf, capsicum, water, chili powder, salt & pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about an hour or until nearly all the liquid has evaporated.  Add the undrained kidney beans and continue cooking until the sauce thickens.

I serve chili in a bowl with crusty bread, or on a bed of rice, or ladled over a whole baked potato in the jacket with a side salad and a dollop of sour cream, or our favourite is on a bed of corn chips with a dollop of sour cream.

You could also double or triple the recipe and freeze portions to stockpile for those nights when you just don't want to cook.

On a side note:
There are getting to be a surprising number of readers on this blog of late and if you are one who enjoys reading along and regularly returns to see what's happening at Monarch Place please consider subscribing so your interest registers down the right- hand side of 'Followers'.  I'd sure appreciate it.  Thanks
Chez

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. Unfortunately though, my kids won't eat red kidney beans - what a pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made it without the kidney beans and it is just as yummy, just doesn't go as far.

      Delete
    2. My daughter is 34 now and I remember regularly cooking the AWW recipe card Chilli Con Carne when she was a child. She didn't eat the kidney beans either and she used to place them evenly spaced around the edge of the plate.......it became a bit of a joke. I didn't mind because she always ate every other part of the dish and loved it. She has asked me to cook this recipe for her and her (almost) 10 year old daughter tonight and this is why I am looking for the recipe. My daughter now eats kidney beans but her daughter does not. I am not sure if she is as creative as her mother though with how she presents the not wanted kidney beans on the plate! My daughter is also now vegetarian so I will be using a meat substitute. I am looking forward to cooking and tasting this dish.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...