Monday, 18 June 2012

Meals Under $10 - Hi Ti Min


It's Monday so I am continuing with a regular feature of feeding our families for under $10 with good home cooked meals.

This week's meal is Hi Ti Min - Approximate cost $8.80

Hi Ti Min is a dish my mother fed us frequently when I was growing up.  It is inexpensive and packed with flavour.  I have also heard another friend call it 'University (or College) Food' because it is a cheap meal to feed struggling students and best of all it is packed with veggies which means it is good for you too.

Hi Ti Min - Serves 4 adults (Approx cost per serve $2.20)


Ingredients
500g ground beef
1 onion, diced
1/4 cup uncooked rice
2 sticks celery, sliced
1 tsp curry powder
2 cups chicken stock (or 2 chicken stock cubes & 2 cups water)
1/4 head of a cabbage, shredded thinly
1 cup frozen or fresh sliced green beans
salt, pepper to season

Method
Heat oil in pan and gently fry onion until transparent.  Add mince and cook until well browned.
Add all other ingredients except for the cabbage and bring to the boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.  Add shredded cabbage and cook a further 10 to 15 minutes until cabbage is soft but not soggy.

Serve in individual bowls with some lovely crusty bread to mop up any extra juices.

To reduce the cost of this meal even further use stock cubes and hot water in place of the ready stock.  I also buy my minced beef when it is reduced or on special because I try to buy good quality mince with little fat which is more expensive.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...