Friday, 27 July 2012

Oven-dried Tomatoes

The vegetable garden is producing lots of Roma tomatoes at the moment and I have had enough spares to dehydrate some to be used later.  I love to buy sun-dried tomatoes from our supermarket for use on pizza's, in salads, eating on their own on crackers etc.


My dehydrator died and I haven't purchased another one yet so I had a go at drying them in the oven.  I cut the tomatoes in half and placed them on greased trays so they wouldn't stick.  Then I sprinkled them with salt and some dried basil and put them in the oven which had been set to 120C (250F).  

It took about 4 hours for them to dry out enough that I was happy but they could have done with another hour if you like them really chewy.  Mine were about 3/4 dehydrated or what is referred to as semi-dried tomatoes.  I then packed them (not too tightly) into jars and covered them with olive oil.

I must confess though, I got a little impatient and turned the oven up a notch for the last hour and some are a little darker than I would have liked.  Next time I will wait patiently.



Out of two large trays full of tomatoes I got 2 medium sized jars.  The vegetable garden is still producing so there still maybe more of these to make in my near future.

Chez


2 comments:

  1. I love dried tomatoes. I will have to give that a shot this year. Yours look yummy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. our tomatoes are about 2 inches high...but love dried tommies so will keep this in mind thank you dear

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...