Monday, 13 August 2012

Jam Making Time - Strawberry Jam

Oh yum!  It's strawberry season here and what better than some lovely home-made strawberry jam.   I went out to visit a local strawberry farm and picked up a few kilos of some 'seconds' for jam making.

To make the jam I used a basic recipe as below and the whole house smells like a fairy floss factory, it's a beautiful thing.


3 kilos of fruit made 9 jars of jam which I will now gift a few to my kids who are living out of home and the rest I will store in the pantry stockpile for use throughout the year.

1 kilo of strawberries, washed and hulled
700gm sugar
2 lemons
1 pkt 'Jamsetta' (Pectin)

I tripled the amounts as I had 3 kilos of strawberries.

Place the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and leftover lemon halves into a large heavy-based pot. Very slowly warm the sugar and strawberries until the sugar has dissolved completely.  Turn up the heat and boil rapidly for about 20 - 30 minutes.  Add the jamsetta and continue to boil being careful the jam doesn't burn on the bottom.
Test by putting a small dollop of jam onto a cold saucer and put in the freezer to cool.  When it is completely cold you can see how set the jam is.  If you like a thick jam then leave it to boil a bit longer.



I sterilize my jars by pouring boiling water into them and the lids and let them sit until the jam is ready.  Then I empty the jars and while they are still warm I fill them with the hot jam mixture and put the lids on.  As the jam cools it causes a vacuum inside the jars and the lids will 'pop' back in and make a nice tight seal.
Jam made this way can be stored in the pantry for months.  We still eat jam made and stored this way after 12 months of storage.

NOTE:  Jamsetta is a pectin based mix that will help your jam to set without hours of boiling.  It keeps the strawberry jam a lighter colour.  If jam boils for too long it becomes very dark in colour but if you don't mind that then it is an extra expense you can leave out of the process.

Happy jam making!

Chez

1 comment:

  1. Oh that looks so good!! I really need to make some strawberry jam. I'm going to need to seek out a close strawberry farm I think!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...