Friday, 24 August 2012

Making a Pirate Bunting

A bunting is quite a simple sewing project and an easy way to decorate a kids room or for a party.  I made this one for my grandson's first birthday in just a few hours one afternoon.


I made a simple cardboard template for the triangle shape and then used a rotary cutter and cutting mat to cut each piece to size.  24 triangles later I had enough so that I could have each one with a matching backing.  Then placing wrong sides together I sewed a 1/4" seam down 2 sides leaving the top open.  Next I trimmed the sewn edges with pinking shears to give a zig zag seam effect and also so the material wouldn't fray when washed.

Alternatively, if you don't have pinking shears or a zig zag cutter for your rotary cutter, you could place the fabric right sides together and sew the seam down 2 sides then turn them right side out.

Once all the fabric triangles were made I sewed them into the fold of some large bias binding, leaving a meter at each end for ties to hang the bunting.

A relaxing and satisfying afternoon sewing an easy project that is also now an economical birthday present made with love for my grandson.  What could be better than that.

Chez

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...