Friday, 3 August 2012

The beginnings of Spring?

Despite the fact that it is only just August, and that means we are still in the middle of winter, it seems that nature has a different idea this year.  Spring has begun to poke it's lovely head through the cold and foggy mornings, early even for our sub-tropical climate.  I must admit though, the weather here is just beautiful at the moment, cool crisp mornings and gorgeous sunny days and as I write this I can hear birds chattering, a gentle breeze rustling the flax grasses outside the window and a lawn mower off in the distance.

Driving down the road home yesterday I noticed that there are already so many wild flowers blooming. Lots of the green and gold wattle in flower, just in time for the Olympics to cheer our Aussie athletes on, and a variety of other bushes as well which I didn't get to stop and take a photo of.

Some more lovely flowers are daring to raised their little heads in the gardens too!
and a few more


Of course this means that the soil is warming up and it's time to begin our Spring planting in the vegetable garden so I am in the planning stages of what to grow this season.  I have limited space and so need to plan carefully to get the most effective use from the available space, but the tomatoes are nearly finished and it is also nearly time to harvest the beetroot so that will make quite a bit of space.  I think this weekend I will have to put aside some time for the vegetable garden, digging through some manure and compost to enrich the soil for new seedlings.

I love Spring, it's my favourite time of the year!

Chez

1 comment:

  1. These are such lovely bright photos Chez, I'm sure they will lighten up lots of readers who are still in the dark grey days of winter. Love that wattle! cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...