Wednesday, 5 September 2012

2 Minute Bread - really?

Wow sounds amazing doesn't it?  A homemade loaf of bread in just 2 minutes?  Well of course that is an impossibility but obviously it means that the preparation time to make the dough will only take 2 minutes and even that is amazing.

What is she on about I can hear you thinking!  Well I found a pin on Pinterest declaring that this 2 minute bread works and thought I would try it for myself and test my skepticism.

With all my flurries of action on Pinterest, there has to come a time when I actually try out some of the wonderful ideas I've pinned.  If this bread didn't work out I could always post it on Pintrosity, so here goes.



 2 Minute Bread

Ingredients
3 cups white unbleached flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried yeast
1 1/2 cups water
A good size casserole dish with a lid.

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined.
 


Add the water and mix until the dough is a sticky wet mess.  (I used about 2 cups of water as I found 1 1/2 was not enough).



Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave to sit on the kitchen bench for 12 or more hours. (Mine was there for about 16).  During this time the dough will rise.  Don't put it in the fridge or the yeast won't activate properly.
Note:  As you will see by the photo further down the page, using a tea towel to cover the dough for such a long period results in the surface drying out so I wouldn't recommend it.


When you are ready to bake your bread place your greased casserole dish and lid in the oven and preheat your oven to 230C (450F) leaving the dish to heat for about 20 minutes.

Carefully scoop the dough from the bowl and place on a floured benchtop or board.  Shape into a ball with floured hands and sprinkle a little more flour on the top.  Don't knead the dough.


Put your ready to be baked bread dough into your hot casserole dish.  Careful it's very hot! Place the lid on the casserole dish and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.  No peaking!


Ta da!  Artisan Bread ready to be enjoyed.

My conclusion to this recipe is that Yes, it does work but mine turned out a little doughy and could probably have done with another 5 minutes in the oven.  I will certainly use this recipe again, probably as a bread accompaniment for soups, and next time look forward to adding some grains and seeds to my dough.

Happy Baking
Chez




1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...