Saturday, 1 September 2012

Spring is Here!

Ahhh....I love Spring.  It's my favourite time of the year, and what's not to love?  The birds are singing, bees are buzzing, gentle breezes blowing, sun is shining and the gardens are coming to life with colour.

Of course with Spring also comes hard work in the garden, but it is so lovely been out of doors in the sunshine (without the heat) that I don't mind the hard work.

Last weekend we ordered a load of wood chips to replenish the mulch on all our garden beds.  This will help keep the watering down and the roots of the plants cool in the long hot Summer months to come, which means I won't have to water everyday when I come home from work and our water bill will be low.  A little bit of work now and it's a win win situation later.


We also ordered a load of organic garden soil to which chicken manure has been added, the vegetable gardens need the levels topping up as they have mulched down.  My little compost ball system just doesn't produce enough to keep them at a good level.  I also have a new garden bed which needs soil as we are on a fairly new block of land and the earth here is hard and mainly clay.  


I also started some seeds in trays undercover.  Lavender, rocket and basil.  The basil is a globe shaped ornamental bush which I am trying for the first time.  It looks really attractive in the garden and is also edible. 
In the garden beds I planted some corn seeds and will also be putting lettuce seedlings in this weekend and more tomato seedlings that I found growing in the compost.  As you can see from the photos above the egg tomatoes are nearing their end and the snow peas are ready to be pulled out so I will replace them with cucumbers.  I'll also be planting a capsicum bush and 'just one' zucchini plant.  I learnt that lesson last year.

What's happening in your garden?

Chez

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...