Thursday, 18 October 2012

Purple People Eater - Knitting

Yay it's finally finished!  Introducing my 'Purple People Eater', a big, sloppy, comfortable sweater knit by your's truly.  It was the look I was going for but slightly bigger under the arms than necessary.





I used a very unusual pattern for this project called the "Incredible Custom-fit Raglan" by Pam Costello.  Pam has kindly offered this pattern up for free so if you are interested click on the link above and check it out. However, it's not so much a pattern but a recipe to create your own sweater, cardigan, vest etc and you modify it as you go to suit your own tastes.




On Ravelry it is amazing to see all the different projects people have created from just this one pattern.  They range from baby sizes all the way up to very large sweaters like mine and all because it is done by taking your body measurements and adjusting stitches to suit.




I decided to knit the entire sweater in stockinette as I wanted to just knit away without much thinking after work at night, but you could incorporate a pattern or cables to make it more interesting.  I did a simple ribbed band for the bottom to draw it in because it was so baggy, and easy rolled hems on the sleeves and neckline.


The yarn is Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino yarn and it was lovely to knit with but even more gorgeous now that it has been washed and blocked.  However if you look carefully at the photos you will see little knitting sins that this yarn just emphasises so a lesson to be learnt from this is to always hide your yarn joins in the seams.



I'm off to do some stash diving and searching through Ravelry's pattern database for my next project.  It will have to be something smaller and cooler to knit now that Summer is on it's way as I don't like to have heavy woollen things draped across my lap at this time of the year.

Now that the sweater is finished I have a severe case of 'cast-on-itis'.

Cheers
Chez


2 comments:

  1. Yay! Finished sweaters are always amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it..looks great...nice and comfy..might have to have a go at this one...long time since i have knitted for myself

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...