Friday, 2 November 2012

Slow Living Month 10

I've been a bit on again, off again with following the Slow Living Month group started by Christine over at the Slow Living Essentials Blog, and here I am again this month and it's the 2nd of November so I'm late again.  Still better late than never I say so lets have a look at what has been happening around Monarch Place in October.

Nourish
My son is doing a Certificate II in Hospitality at his school and because I also work at the same school I have been lucky enough to be the recipient of some of his latest assessment attempts.  This one in particular was very nice and nicely plated too.
Lovely salmon with mustard glazed potatoes, avocado, beans, spinach and cherry tomatoes.  Now to get him cooking at home!



Prepare
I have made a head start on Christmas making some cards and soaps and wash cloths for gifts.

Grow
I tried some container growing as it is a 'high bug and disease' time here in the subtropics and so not good for planting out into the garden beds.  This Lettuce Basket is doing really well and I just pick the leaves as I need them for sandwiches and salads.  I've also planted a chilli bush and a cherry tomato in containers so that we will be able to have our own homegrown salads at Christmas rather than buy the overpriced vegetables in the stores.


Cherish
This beautiful crochet doiley was sent to me via a swap that was set up over 12 months ago by the knitting group in Qatar.  Now that I have been back in Australia for over a year it was lovely to participate in this anonymous swap and to find out that one of my closest friends there was my partner.  I will cherish this forever.




Green and Reduce
This reed fencing was picked up at the Recycle centre.  We have been looking for something to add some privacy to our backyard and this was just the thing.  The entire lot cost $30 and there are about another 4 pieces that will nicely close in the back half of the backyard which is just perfect.



Create
Knitted socks from the Yarn Harlots Sock Recipe, another gift in the drawer for Christmas.  I also finished by Purple People Eater sweater which I just love and can't wait until the cooler months to be able to wear it.



Enhance
We have sponsored children through Compassion Australia for many many years and over those years we have lost a child through war and this time we were sad to discover that our child from Kenya had been removed from the program and we could no longer support him.  We have since taken on another little boy who lives in the Golden Triangle area of Thailand.

Enjoy
School holidays were upon us and I got to spend some time in beautiful Caloundra, about half an hour from where I live.  This is a lovely coffee strip where you can watch the swimmers, fishermen, sail boarders and people strolling by at Pumicestone Passage.  It is nice to take some time out now and again and just sit, relax and let the world go by.


I always love doing this account of the month because when I start out I always think that I won't have anything to write but as I work my way through the categories I find I've done more than I think and it is a huge encouragement.

Chez

6 comments:

  1. Great find on the reed fencing! And the soaps look great - that's something that I have on the list to make in the next couple of weeks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I see your soaps, I think I should give it a try... one more thing for the list I guess. ;-)

    I can't get over how large those pine trees are in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to do Kathryn. Once you give it a try you will be hooked.

      Delete
  3. Wow, your boy really knows how to prepare a meal, well done to him!

    And what a find with the reed screening. Thanks for the kickstart to get thinking about Christmas presents. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed it again this month - grr... as you said it is a lovely idea to assess the month and see what you have in fact achieved.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...