Saturday, 19 January 2013

Prepare Ahead Baking Mixes

So the holidays are drawing to a close and pretty soon I will be saying how busy I am and how I don't have enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do........

I've begun preparing for the busy times ahead by organising my pantry and making ready mixes. These are just like buying a packet cake, muffin, slice or biscuit mix but without all the preservatives and additives.  My homemade mixes are just as convenient and I know exactly whats in them and what my family are eating.  I can also eliminate any ingredients that are known allergins to my family.

I took some of our favourite recipes, mixed the dry ingredients together in a ziplock bag and wrote the remaining ingredients to be added, on the bag.  When I need to bake I can just take out a prepared ahead mix, add the rest of the ingredients and voila......almost healthy convenience snacks!


Cranberry and White Choc Biscuits

Dry Ingredients (mix together in ziplock bag)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 3/4 cups self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
150g white chocolate chips
150g dried cranberries

Write on the bag - "Cream together 125g butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence & an egg".  "Mix together with dry ingredients.  Bake 180C 12 minutes."

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Make these as the recipe above but substitute the white chocolate chips for milk or dark chocolate and the cranberries for walnut pieces.


Honey Oat Bars

Dry Ingredients (mix together in ziplock bag)
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup sultanas or raisins
1/2 cup self raising flour
1/2 raw sugar
1/2 cup dessicated coconut

Write on the bag - "Melt 1 tbsp honey & 155g butter together.  Add to dry ingredients. Press evenly over base of baking tin. 180C 15 - 20 mins.


Muesli Cookies

Dry Ingredients (mix together in ziplock bag)
1 cup muesli
1 cup coconut
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup sesame seeds (optional)

Write on bag - "Add 1 tbsp honey, 1 egg & 185g melted butter.  Drop teaspoons of mix on baking tray.  Bake 180C 10 - 15 mins.

Basic Muffin Mix

Dry Ingredients (mix together in ziplock bag)
2 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flavourings (if dry like, spices, nuts, dried fruit)

Write on Bag - "Add 1 egg, 1/4 cup oil & 1 cup milk.
Bake 180C approx 20 mins



I laid all my ingredients out on the kitchen bench, wrote on all my bags and then started to assemble the Prepare-ahead mixes.  I made each mix separately, measuring the ingredients into a bowl and mixing them thoroughly before adding to the zip-lock bag.

In about an hour I had 9 mixes all labelled and stored and the kitchen cleaned and tidied again.  This will give me 1 mix per week for 9 weeks which is almost to the end of the first school term here in Australia.

I made 2 of each mix above and 3 of the basic muffin mix to which I added 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to the first one.  I will cut up a fresh apple and add with the wet ingredients when I bake that mix.  The second mix I added 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and 1/2 cup dried cranberries and for the third mix I added 1/2 cup coconut and 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots.

Happy baking
Chez




3 comments:

  1. Oh I love to do that - havent done it for ages - thanks for the reicpes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi chez, as a teacher as well I totally understand how crazy it can be when the term is on. Just found your blog thanks to Down to Earth and am looking forward to following your suggestions to get organised and find a way through the busy life we lead. Thanks for the baking mixes and organising clues. will be following these. I find i need to do one room at a time or i feel like no real organising has occurred at all. Going to start with mini office ready for term to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cooking mixes are a great idea....will put that into practice for sandra too....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments so please leave some :D I've been getting lots of SPAM lately. Please note spammers, your comment is not read, I don't click on your links and I delete your comment so others can't see it and click on the links either so you are wasting your time and effort here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...